Tuesday, September 24, 2013

It's becoming fall: time for Apple Pie!

Those of you who know me probably know that I hate all things pumpkin.  So, even though I love Pinterest, it is not my best friend lately.  With fall comes the inundation of everything pumpkin flavored and scented.  YUCK!

I know.  Pumpkin and fall go together for so many people.  But definitely not me.  I tend towards the apple side when fall comes around.  For Thanksgiving, my mom always made pumpkin pie for everyone and apple pie for me.  (Thanks Mom!)

So since fall is approaching (though not in weather terms here in hot, humid Florida), I picked up a large bag of apples for dirt cheap the other day.  I keep having ideas of what to do with them.  I think, "Ooh... I should make apple pie.  Yum!  But wait, if I make apple pie that will use most of the apples and then I won't have them to make that apple fritter bread I've been wanting to try.  But then, if I bake with them, I won't have them to eat fresh everyday..."  Yes.  This is seriously what goes on in my mind.  I'm insane.  I mean, it's not like this is the last bag of apples on earth!  If I use them all, I could just but more!  What logic!
Well, anyway.  I love apple pie and all related things, so for breakfast on Sunday, I popped into the kitchen to make a new recipe, fresh off of Pinterest:  Apple Pie Muffins!  So you can eat apple pie for breakfast without actually feeling guilty about eating pie for breakfast!  These were absolutely delicious!  Thomas loved them, though he didn't say so in so many words.  It was more like, "Mmmm.  Mmmm.  Mmhmmm!"  Lol.  All I have to say is: YUM!
 
 
Apple Pie Muffins
Very slightly adapted from: Recipe by Photos
Makes 9 overflowing, regular sized muffins

Ingredients:
Crumble Topping:
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Muffins:
1/2 cup buttermilk (*See below for substitute)
1/3 cup liquid oil
1/2 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
sprinkle of nutmeg
1 cup peeled and diced apple (I used Gala)

Directions:
Prepare topping: In a small bowl, mix the butter, flour, sugar, and cinnamon together with a fork until crumbly.  Set aside.

For the Muffins:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 9 cups in a muffin tin with paper liners.  (These muffins will overflow a bit, so you can always make more muffins if you want them to be smaller.)
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the oil, egg, vanilla, and sugar until blended.
  3. In a larger bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg).
  4. Stir about half of the oil mixture into the flour mixture.  Then pour in half of the buttermilk, and stir.  Continue alternating until everything is combined.  Don't over mix.
  5. Peel and chop your apple, then add to the batter.  Stir until just combined.
  6. Using a scoop or measuring cup, pour batter into prepared muffin tin.  Sprinkle crumble topping on each muffin.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  8. Enjoy!!!  They are delicious when split open and spread with butter!
*Note: If you don't have buttermilk on hand, just mix together 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tablespoon vinegar, and let it sit for a few minutes while you stir up the other parts of the batter.

Yummy!  I just love all things apple pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment