Monday, July 15, 2013

Oatmeal Cream Pies {Lundi Little Lovelies}


 Ok!  So these oatmeal cream pies are AMAZING!!!  I made them about a week ago for Bible study and they were a big hit!  I mean really, it's an oatmeal cream pie, of course it was a big hit!  Who doesn't love these things?!
I'd had a version of these pinned forever, but I hadn't made them because they seemed really time consuming.  And not to lie, they kind of are.  But I divided up the process into two days, so that really helped.  On Saturday afternoon, I mixed up and baked all of the cookies.  Then on Sunday afternoon before Bible study, I whipped up the filling and assembled the pies.  So, even though it's time consuming because it makes so many, doing it in two days really made it manageable.  And trust me, they are TOTALLY worth the work!!!  You absolutely MUST try them!
 
The original recipe comes from Macaroni and Cheesecake.   I kept her cookie recipe and then used the Oreo Filling Dip recipe that I've blogged before.  The main reason that I combined the two recipes is because Macaroni and Cheesecake's filling recipe required a double broiler and whipping eggs until they formed soft peaks, etc.  And I'm just not that patient.  I knew that the Oreo dip was amazing, so I figured I'd stick with that!
 

Oatmeal Cream Pies
Adapted from: Macaroni and Cheesecake (cookies) and Cookies and Cups (filling)
Makes about 24 pies (48 cookies)

Ingredients for Cookies:
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar together until light.  
  3. Add in eggs, honey, and vanilla and beat until combined.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  Do not over mix.
  5. Stir in oats until mixed throughout.  (I used old-fashioned oats and pulsed them in the blender a few times before adding them so they would be chopped up a little bit.  This step isn't necessary, it's just a consistency thing.)
  6. Refrigerate the dough for about 15 minutes.
  7. After dough has been refrigerated, drop by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.  (Cookies will flatten and spread while baking.)  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges just start to brown.
  8. Allow cookies to set up on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Ingredients for Filling:
  •  1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons hot water
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Using a hand mixer, stir until smooth.
  2. Spread filling onto the bottom of an oatmeal cookie.
  3. Top with another cookie.
  4. EAT!!!
*Note on the filling: I used almost all of the filling for my 24 oatmeal cream pies.  You may need more or less depending on how generous you are with the filling.

Like I said, it is time consuming, but baking the cookies one day and assembling them the next really made it seem like it wasn't that much work!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment