Friday, June 7, 2013

In the Tough Times...

...you tend to lean on God more.  It's much easier to think you can go it alone when everything's hunky-dorey.  But when life throws starts throwing proverbial curve balls, we all tend to wanna hit the "Pause" button and talk to God a little more.

Even though this is certainly not something to be proud of, it is very true for me.  It is so much easier to lean on God when you have no idea what He's planning because there isn't anything you can do on your own.  I wish I could say that I look to God first in every situation, but I am not there yet.  I am desperately striving to be the person, wife, daughter, friend, servant He wants me to be, but all too often I get caught up in the everyday activities of life.  And then I find myself, laying in bed after another day, praying for forgiveness for neglecting to seek God continually.

So in an effort to train my heart and mind on Him, I am currently working on memorizing a short passage of scripture.  I have been reading the Bible through in chronological order in my personal Bible study, and this past week, one of the days readings was Psalm 119... the whole long thing.  (Btw, I'm fairly convinced that chronological order is one of the best things ever!)  And while reading, this set of verses really stuck out to me.  I want these to be my heart's desire, every moment of every day.

Psalm 119: 33-40 
(in the New International Version)

"Teach me, O Lord, to follow your decrees;
then I will keep them to the end.
Give me understanding, and I will keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.
Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.
Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.
Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.
Fulfill your promise to your servant, 
so that you may be feared.
Take away the disgrace I dread, 
for your laws are good.
How I long for your precepts!
Preserve my life in your righteousness."

I just love the Psalmist's passion for wanting to do the will of God.  Especially the phrases he used like "with all my heart", "away from worthless things", "How I long for your precepts".  I want my passion and desires to match those of the Psalmist; to focus on the things above, the things that really matter and not get caught up in all the worldly, worthless things.

Any thoughts?!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. This is something I am continually trying to improve-looking to God everyday, every minute.

    ReplyDelete