Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Muffins

Woohoo!  It's Hump Day!  Halfway through the week!  Yay!

This is the first five day week I've worked in two weeks, so I'm getting tired!  Work has been pretty stressful lately, and this morning was one of those times when I just felt like I couldn't go on.  But, I got through the day, only thanks to the Lord's strength, and got energized again by cooking up some apple cinnamon scones... Yummy!  They are one of my favorite recipes, and tonight I found out that they're sooooo much easier to make now that I've got a nifty chopper!  But, I'll keep you waiting in suspense for that recipe.

Tonight, its Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Muffins!  Yum yum!  (I think I'm on a muffin kick... can you tell?!)  I found this recipe on Pinterest, and since it was already pretty healthy, I didn't have to do much adapting to make them even healthier!  So, depending on how closely you follow the recipe and how many raisins you add, these come in at about 100 calories and half a gram of fat per muffin!  Not bad, eh?!

Thanks to Christie from Taste of the Sisterhood: Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans for posting the original recipe!  Here's my version.  (Also, my muffin tin is a little bigger than normal, so my muffins always look a little small.  Have no fear, they're just shorter and fatter than most muffins.  And, these muffins were not baked in paper muffin cups and I feel like they were just a little over done/hard on the bottom, so that's why I suggest using the cups.)

Also, can you believe, that with all the muffin makin' I do, I only own ONE muffin tin?!  I know, I'm severely deprived!  ;)

Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Muffins
Adapted from: Taste of the Sisterhood

*** Update (3-9-13) - I ate these this morning for breakfast with some honey drizzled on them, and they were HEAVENLY!  So good that I will probably add some honey to the recipe next time I make them.  I just thought you'd like to know!)

Ingredients:
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup skim milk
1 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
raisins
more cinnamon

Directions:
  1. Combine the oats and milk.  Let soak for an hour.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper baking cups.
  3. Combine the oat and milk mixture with the vanilla and applesauce in a mixing bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
  5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  Don't over mix.
  6. Stir in the raisins.  I have no idea how many I added, I just added some until I thought there was a good amount.  It's totally up to you!
  7. Divide batter into the twelve muffin cups.
  8. Sprinkle with more cinnamon.  Don't you just love cinnamon!
  9. Bake for 20 -25 minutes, until muffins are slightly colored on top.
 Mmmmm!  I've still got some of these in the freezer from the weekend!  I've been baking so much, that right now, I just let them cool, throw them in baggies in twos, and pop them in the freezer so I know they won't go bad.  Then, you just have to heat 'em up and slather on just a tad of butter.  Yum!!!!!!!
Also, for those of you who're wondering... we're still running!  We took a little break over the weekend to recoop, but we're back at it!  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment